Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A New Gig

Externships are not jobs. But this certainly feels like one.
The Four Seasons called last Friday to say I was welcome to contribute my free labor for three weeks in exchange for an unparalleled learning opportunity. I agreed. And so I began on Monday morning by blistering my fingers on molten honey, and making a the soup of the day (broccoli & smoked mozzarella). But that was two days ago. Today I worked the pizza station, helped plate salads for some lawyers (quite satisfying to walk in their conference room thinking, "this used to be me...just not at the Four Seasons"), and made yet two more soups for the boss, Chef T. So the laundry list of stuff I do is much longer now that it was as school; thus, no need to bore. But as I was cleaning up today I realized one thing: it's really not that hard. I say that because the cook I assisted got his ass kicked today. And yet, after a mere 10 weeks of similar training, I was able not only to step in and help but keep up reasonably well.
Now, not for a minute would I suggest being equal to that cook. Far from it. But overall, whereas I was nervous about this job, this career some weeks ago, I'm not so much any more.
There's more to write on the subject but I need a shower and a shave (the executive chef scolded me today for having a couple days growth).

0 comments: