Friday, December 7, 2007

A change in course

The strictly educational portion of my culinary experience is supposedly over, and it's time for an update. Time to find work. So I'm pounding the virtual pavement among Peninsula-based catering firms with a potential gig on the 14th. This is the course to take under current conditions: ad hoc catering gigs. It's appealing to me, it pays sufficiently, and offers the kind of flexibility the family needs. So that's the course. Not terribly exciting but the expected result of this career change. Why?
There was no shortage of research before I made the decision to become a cook, and everything indicated that at my age and in my family situation a full time restaurant gig would not be feasible. The research was correct as proven by my time at the Four Seasons. Those night hours are rough.
So the job search proceeds. And though it's exciting to start getting paid for demonstrating the skills I've acquired, I miss school - mainly the people. But it was time to move on regardless.

0 comments: